User Experience (UX) Designer
Come join our team
We want bright and curious minds to join our delightfully inclusive software product design and development company. You’ll join a small team with high levels of job freedom. We don’t hire based on a checklist of standardized requirements. But we do hire great people who care about learning new things and working together on exciting problems. If that’s something that connects with you then we’d like you to consider joining our team!
Here are some things that you’ll do in the course of a day
You’ll work on a team that collaborates closely with our clients and helps them solve world-class problems across a diverse range of industries. In this role you will:
- Support the development of well-designed solutions for our clients, collaborating with your team members and our clients.
- Plan and execute primary and secondary user research, such as interviews, site visits, and publication reviews.
- Produce and maintain artifacts that help the team understand the product and business context, such as personas, scenarios, and user story maps.
- Create and execute usability tests on products in a range of fidelities.
- Develop wireframes, prototypes, pattern library entries, and other artifacts that communicate the user experience.
Interpret findings and communicate your results and suggestions to your team and others.
And you will be learning a lot, too. We’re convinced of that. It’s certainly our intent, anyway.
Here’s what you bring to our team
While experience with specific tools and technologies is helpful, it’s not what matters the most to us. Here’s an overview of what we’re looking for in terms of skills. You’ll need to demonstrate to us that you have these skills by showing us something you’ve worked on, telling us a good story, and sharing your passion.
- An inquisitive mind and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Willing and able to learn about new technologies.
- Demonstrable experience creating UX artifacts or related materials.
- Strong aptitude for solving problems.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse team whose members are skilled at what they do.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, changing environment.
In addition, these skills aren’t at all required for this role, but would be nice to have and would differentiate you from others.
- Proven abilities in visual design, interaction design, and/or information architecture.
- Experience with Mac OS X and/or some flavour of Linux, because that’s what we mostly work with.
- Familiarity with version control systems (we use Git).
- Experience playing ukulele, mandolin, or other small, stringed, musical instrument.
Career development and learning
Are you interested in learning? Do you want to up your product game? You’ll be given the opportunity to learn new technologies guided by a team of smart and experienced UX Designers and Software Engineers. You’ll collaborate directly with our clients, aiding them in researching new technologies and developing creative solutions to their problems. You’ll learn how to manage a project from inception to release, contributing to every step of product development along the way. And you’ll develop your skills in a relaxed yet energizing environment.
A little about Zeitspace
Zeitspace launched on Hallowe’en in 2016, because we wanted a scary birthday. We’re more experienced than such a recent launch may imply, though we retain our infectious enthusiasm for designing and building great products. Since launching we’ve delivered multiple products for a variety of clients. We love the work we do, and also love not working long hours that take us away from other meaningful parts of our lives.
You can learn more about Zeitspace through our blog posts. Less informative, though still worth a look, is our Twitter account. And you should definitely check out The Zeitspace Sessions, our ongoing series of community events aimed at designers and developers. We care deeply about inclusion and diversity, and are consciously building a company that reflects that.
We’re located at 180 King Street South in Uptown Waterloo, a short walk or bicycle ride from the heart of Waterloo Region’s Innovation District. There’s easy access to public transit and cycling trails for commuting, restaurants for dining, and the Communitech Hub for a selection of events and other learning opportunities.
Connect with us! Send us your resume, and be sure to tell us a little about yourself in a cover letter. Let us know why you think Zeitspace is a good fit, what you hope to do here, and anything else you think we should be considering.